How can such very simple ingredients make up such happy food, eh?
Today I decided to take a break from my usual daily afternoon grind and made something sweet for dessert! And since I know how much my sister-in-law, husband, mom and brother, (plus the fact that one of our house help never had the chance to try it) loves leche flan — that’s what I made today!
I’m a newbie when it comes to anything kitchen related. That is why I am really thankful for technology and to the generous folks out there — searching the internet for any help I needed is as easy as 1-2-3, most of the time. I was able to find and make this really yummy custard which we all shared for dessert!
There were a number of leche flan recipes available, but I decided to try the recipe from Panlasang Pinoy because I find that his instructions were more straight forward. However, his recipe says that it can yield 6 but I was only able to make 4 leche flans out of it. Must be the size of my mold? Anyway, here it is… hope you enjoy it as much as we all did here at home.
- 10 pieces raw eggs
- 1 small can condensed milk
- 1 cup fresh milk (or evaporated milk)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1. Using all the eggs, separate the yolk from the egg white (only egg yolks will be used).
- 2. Place the egg yolks in a big bowl then beat them using a fork or an egg beater.
- 3. Add the condensed milk and mix thoroughly.
- 4. Pour-in the fresh milk and mix well.
- 5. Put the mold (llanera) on top of the stove and heat using low fire.
- 6. Put-in the granulated sugar on the mold and mix thoroughly until the solid sugar turns into liquid (caramel) having a light brown colour.
- 7. Spread the caramel (liquid sugar) evenly on the flat side of the mold.
- 8. Wait for 5 minutes then pour the egg yolk and milk mixture on the mold.
- 9. Cover the top of the mold using an Aluminum foil.
- 10. Steam the mold with egg and milk mixture for 30 to 35 minutes.
- 11. After steaming, let the temperature cool down then refrigerate.
- 12. Serve for dessert. Share and Enjoy!