Our employees loves to shower us with food — from vegetables freshly harvested, native chicken, fresh picked fruits, down to local snacks. One morning, after our driver blessed us with lots of Saba banana, the husband asked me to make him sweetened banana. That’s when I realized that, albeit a childhood favorite, I’m not sure how it is done because I have never made one myself since it has always been mom who does it for us.
So today, I’m sharing with you the recipe to this very simple yet delicious dessert (for all ya who, like me, haven’t tried making it!). This dessert is not only very easy to make, the ingredients are easily available and affordable, too!
- º 4 pieces saba banana (saging na saba)
- º ¾ cup brown sugar
- º 1½ cups water
- º 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- º ¼ teaspoon salt
- Heat a cooking pot and pour-in water then let boil.
- 1. Add brown sugar and stir until diluted.
- 2. Add salt and vanilla extract and mix well.
- 3. Put-in the plantains and adjust the heat to medium. Cover the cooking pot and simmer for 8 to 12 minutes or until the liquid thickens.
- 4. Turn-off heat and allow the bananas to cool.
- 5. Serve.